Feeling unwell? Not sure what the best course of action to take is?
There are a range of NHS services on your doorstep which could help and you don't always need to see a GP or go to A&E:
Self Care: is the best choice to treat very minor illnesses, ailments and injuries. A range of common illnesses and complaints can be treated with a well stocked medicine cabinet and plenty of rest.
NHS Direct: provides a confidential telephone service, 24 hours a day, to give advice and guidance on health issues. Call 0845 46 47.
Pharmacy: can provide confidential, expert advice and treatment for a range of common illnesses and complaints, without having to wait for a GP appointment or go to your A&E. Find your nearest pharmacist or text 'pharmacy' to 64746 or 'NHSGO'.
Your GP: If you have an illness or injury that won’t go away, make an appointment with your GP. Find a GP or text 'doctor' to 64746 or 'NHSGO'.
NHS Walk-In Centre: along with minor injuries units and urgent care centres offer convenient access to a range of treatments for minor illnesses and injuries that don't need a trip to hospital. Find out more or text 'walk' to 64746 or 'NHSGO' to find your nearest unit or centre.
A&E: A&E departments and the 999 ambulance service should only be used in a critical or life-threatening situation. Text 'accident' to 64746 or 'NHSGO' to find your closest A&E department.
To find your nearest: A&E, alcohol services, dentists, GPs, opticians, pharmacists, sexual health services, stop-smoking services, and walk-in centres, text the keyword below to 64746 or “NHSGO”.
The keywords for each of the directories are:
- for A&E departments, text "accident"
- for alcohol services, text "alcohol"
- for dentists, text "dentist"
- for GPs, text "doctor"
- for opticians, text "optician"
- for pharmacists, text "pharmacy"
- for sexual health services, text "sexualhealth"
- for stop-smoking services, text "quit"
- for walk-in centres, text "walk"
If you have an internet-enabled phone you can also use three of the interactive tools:
- To calculate your body mass index, text "BMI"
- To find out how much smoking costs you, text "Calculator"
- To check whether you are drinking within sensible limits, text "Drinkquiz"
Find out more on the NHS Choices website.